Monday 10 March 2014

But I Say to You

Jesus Righteousness: Matthew 5:17-48

March 9, 2014
What is Jesus’ attitude toward the Law?
Does he question its authority, or only its interpretation?
What are we required to obey—if anything?

 “Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them.” Matthew 5:17

The scribes and Pharisees sought to restrict the commands of the law, and extend their permissions, to suit their convenience.
Jesus explains the true meaning of the moral law with all its uncomfortable implications.

 “For I tell you, unless your righteousness exceeds that of the scribes and Pharisees, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven.” Matthew 5:20
 “You have heard that it was said...” Matthew 5:21
Anger
Lust
Divorce
Oaths
Retaliation
Enemies
But I say to you…

“Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11:29-30

Memory Verse: Week Three
For truly, I say to you, until heaven and earth pass away, not an iota, not a dot, will pass from the Law until all is accomplished.   Matthew 5:18
Intentional Bible Reading
  1. Pronounce It
  2. Picture It
  3. Probe It
  4. Paraphrase It
  5. Personalize It 
This Week:
  1. Read and reflect.
  2. Pick one issue and ask the Holy Spirit for a change in your righteousness.
  3. Be an example of perfection.

Reflecting Jesus by looking into The Sermon on the Mount

You will recognize them by how they live. Matthew 7:20

No comments:

Post a Comment