Tuesday 12 March 2013

How Do I Study a Bible Passage?


HOW TO STUDY A BIBLE PASSAGE
40 Days In The Word - Part 4      March 10, 2013

The key to Bible Study is asking good questions.

PHILIPPIANS 2:19-30
      
   I.          OBSERVATION: What does it say?

·  Paul intends to send two men to Philippi.
      “I hope to send you Timothy” vs.  19
      “I think it is necessary to send Epaphroditus back to you.”  vs.  25

·  Paul endorsed these men as role models.
            (Timothy) “I have no one else like him!”  vs.  20
             (Epaphroditus) “Welcome him...  HONOUR men like him.”  vs.  29

·  What does it mean to be like these men?  What are they like? 

                vs.  20-21 “takes a genuine interest”
                vs.  22 “has proved himself”
                vs.  25 “my brother, fellow worker, fellow soldier”
                vs.  26 “longs for all of you and is distressed”
                vs. 27-30 “almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life”

II.        INTERPRETATION: What does it mean?
         vs.  21 “I have no one else like him, who takes a genuine interest in your welfare.  For            everyone else looks out for his own interests…”

      (TEV) “genuinely cares for you … others only care about themselves
            (Ph) “...they are all wrapped up in their own affairs...” 
      1.  A godly person is caring.                    

      vs.  22 “Timothy has proved himself, because as a son with his father, he has served with me in the work of the gospel.”    
             (GW) “...you know what kind of person Timothy proved to be.”
      2.  A godly person is consistent.

vs.  25 “I send back to you Epaphroditus, my brother, fellow worker and fellow soldier, who is also your messenger, whom you sent to take care of my needs.”  (GN) “...he has worked and fought by my side”
      3.  A godly person is cooperative.
     
            vs.  26 For he longs for all of you and is distressed because you heard     he was ill.” 
      4.  A godly person is considerate.


      vs.27+30 “Indeed he was ill, and almost died...he almost died for the work of Christ, risking his life to make up for the help you couldn’t give me.”
            5.  A godly person is courageous.

III.       CORRELATION:      What do other verses say?
      Timothy: 1 & 2 Timothy Epaphroditus Ph.  4:14-18

   IV.  APPLICATION: What does it mean to me?
             S.P.A.C.E.P.E.T.S.  Personal Practical Possible Provable

No comments:

Post a Comment