Thursday 18 April 2013

Facebook Bullying or Positive Peer Pressure?

I have often been miffed at messages I have received via email, or seen posted on Facebook which suggest I do something in support of a cause. Now, I'm all about supporting a good cause, especially when it would benefit from raised awareness and reduced stigma. However, when any post tries to bully me into support: "Post this... but most won't." "I'll know who my real friends are..." "Funny, how we won't stand up for..." I delete it out of principle. If I consider something worthy of my support, like mental health, or having great kids, then I will say so. I don't appreciate someone thinking they need to shame me into posting something that will result in shaming someone else, and so on. So, as Jiminy Cricket said, "Always let your conscience be your guide." I have included an example, which I have also altered for effect. I wondered why a post in support of mental health would also try to bully my response.

1 comment:

  1. Well said Pastor Vernon but how do we alter those posts that we would like to support and that say what my heart would like to say without the "guilt trip" on me or others?
    DiAnne H.

    ReplyDelete